Please send resumes to:
1900 S. Michiagn Ave. | Chicago, IL 60616
The HistoryMakers, a national non profit educational institution committed to preserving, developing and providing easy access to an internationally recognized archival collection of thousands of African American video oral history interviews (www.thehistorymakers.org). Annual revenues are currently $1.5-$2 million but seek to grow to $3 million annually. The Director of Development will report directly to the President. (S)he must have worked with a small non profit, had prior successful experience with event fundraising, capital campaigns, major gifts, annual campaigns, gift solicitations, naming opportunities and individual, corporate and foundation giving. A prior grant writing background would be preferred and academic training in the humanities a plus.
- Significant knowledge of event fundraising, major giving, annual and capital campaigns.
- Ability to develop and manage the systems, procedures and strategies to secure major gifts.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience with federal, corporate and foundation grants.
- Event planning experience of upscale small and large events.
- Interacting professionally with diverse individuals of means, including donors and volunteers.
- Significant project management experience and great administrative skills.
- Knowledge of the educational, humanities-related, museum or other archival fields.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- Play an instrumental role in planning and implementing The HistoryMakers An Evening With…celebrity interview PBS-TV interview series as well as smaller events.
- Develop solicitation strategies that meet The HistoryMakers’ fundraising goal.
- Develop an excellent understanding of the organization, its programs, goals, and clientele, and be able to articulate these in a compelling and ethical manner to donor prospects.
- Research, write, and submit proposals on a timely basis to secure appropriate funding
- Develop and maintain a project tracking system for timely submission of reports and follow-up activities.
- Represent The HistoryMakers at all times professionally and adhere to The HistoryMakers confidentiality and ethics procedures.
- Perform all other duties as from time to time assigned.
- Travel as needed. Candidate should own a car and have a valid driver’s license and
- Other duties as assigned.
This individual must demonstrate a commitment to the mission of The HistoryMakers and the ability to function in a mission-oriented organization.
Highly proficient in MS Office, Word, Access. Excel and FileMaker Pro
Salary & Benefits
The HistoryMakers competitive benefits package includes 403(b), PTO, health, vision and dental insurance, tuition reimbursement and school loan repayment assistance.